Martin Luther King Jr.

Martin Luther King Jr.
M. L. King Jr. (January 15, 1929 – April 4, 1968)

12/10/2008

This whirlwind adventure is so strange.

The twists and turns of our eternal battle to understand, appreciate, expand and develop our individual perspectives perplex me.

Some days I wake up, and I feel like I'm somewhere new.

But usually I'm just in my bed.

Every interaction, with its prejudices, presumptions, pretenses and and assumptions, astounds me. Our ability to communicate effectively (sometimes) through that murky marsh impresses me. This marsh is like the everglades: teeming with life and motion, full of potential for growth and development, but you never know where the alligator or snake is hiding under the water ready to pounce and bite your leg off or inject you with venom that will paralyze you and make you stop breathing.

I get scared of this realm, sometimes.

But we've figured out ways to get through this world pretty safe. We hide ourselves in giant flat bottom boats with fans so large that, if they were in Kansas, could spark a tornado. We speed through the marsh, going only were we need to go because we are reasonable sure that there are no alligators there. Because if we get off the boat just for a second...

CHOMP!

You've lost your leg. Sure, you can get a peg to replace it, but its not the same.

Should I fear losing my leg? Is my attachment to my bodily limbs limiting my ability, my fear of pain capping my capacity?

Should I be trying to find ways to actively dissuade the beasts of the marsh from harming me, rather than simply avoiding them?

The answer is yes.

I'm astounded by the prejudices, presumptions, pretenses and assumptions of communication between people, but its the prejudices, presumptions, pretenses and assumptions of communication within myself that really confound me.

No comments: