Martin Luther King Jr.

Martin Luther King Jr.
M. L. King Jr. (January 15, 1929 – April 4, 1968)

1/27/2009



This is the part of that, that I really think is most valuable.

"But here’s the thing that’s most important to me, that you take the spirit the, culture of this campaign, that you keep applying it not just campaigns. That sense of possibility that you guys can do anything that you guys can reimagine the world that you can lead not by trying to manipulate your way or by trying to push down somebody else but that you can lead through the force of your example, and your discipline and your creativity. I just hope that you carry that with you everywhere you go, because that’s what America needs right now, active citizens like you. Who are willing to turn towards each other, talk to people you’ve never met and say “common lets go do this, lets go change the world, lets go teach our children, lets go figure out a way to make the healthcare system work for every American lets go make sure that there’s accountability in our government. Lets go to other countries and spread the word of freedom and democracy but also prosperity and equality and justice. What an enormous force you’ve got inside yourselves. Don’t put that on the shelf and wait for the next four years. Next week, next month, next year, for the rest of your lives, cling on to that essential thing about you. What made this campaign special was YOU, and don’t let anyone take that away from you. Because I promise you, if everybody in this hall is willing to keep doing what you guys did over the last two years, then I’m optimistic about America. I may make some mistakes but you’ll set me right, and after I’m out of office and you’ll set the next person right, and maybe someday you’ll be in office and you’ll set the country right and maybe you’ll never be in office but you’ll make your neighborhood right, or you’ll make your job right. I am confident in you, I have faith in you, I am grateful to you, you, together, can change the world."

No comments: