Martin Luther King Jr.

Martin Luther King Jr.
M. L. King Jr. (January 15, 1929 – April 4, 1968)

1/31/2009

Self-confidence and arrogance-Draft one.

In the middle of the campaign, I realized that my desire to lead was in no small part due to an ambition to be succesful. How I want to lead, those motivations are quite different, and are influenced by a much more broad social awareness. But my desire to be President of the United States of America...that's stems from my arrogance and my cockiness as much as my desire to see change. And I began to struggle with that.

Quickly, I tried to apply that perspective to politicians at large, be it POTUS or School Board Rep, and I realized, only people who are arrogant enough to believe that they alone are the best for the position (why else run?) will ever step into the ring.

Now, I believe that this kind of cynacism toward politics has long since been intergrated into our culture, and certainly don't believe that this line of thought is anything new.

But the cultural acceptance of the arrogance of politicians its pitted against our societies need for our politicians to appear less than self centered; shaking hands, trips to soup kitchens, building homes with whatever. Acts of charity.

But how can that act of charity be selfless, when it gets them elected?

The point that I hope to make, if not today, someday, is that the concept of political office is inherently flawed, and even in concept corrupted, as it is based on appearances and perceptions, the two of which being the most variable aspects of our world.

Controlling my appearance is formulaic, and altering your perspective is easier than you'll let yourself think. And if your perspective is out of your control, think about the hundreds of millions of fellow citizens and billions of your fellow human that haven't been given the opportunity for self awareness like you've been given.

I think that it is very, very important for to recongnize the flaws that are buried within our system, because only then can we use our system to its fullest extent. I should say that I truly believe that democracy and capitalism together combine to form a society that creates the most opportunity for development of all people, and that our form of democracy, with all its flaws, stays true to the ideals that we set out with.

I believe that we must always fight, uncompromising, for what we believe is right. But I believe that to be most successful in our fight, we must recognize first what the world is, and recognize second what it isn't. Because when we pit ourselves against institutions, we must understand their strengths as they relate to their weaknesses, rather than strengths and weaknesses and when it comes to our democratic systems, we tend to understand its strengths independently from its weaknesses, attacking one without recognizing how it will affect the other.

Because we cannot create things without flaws, as we ourselves are flawed.

And that's ok.

No comments: